This challenge has been interesting so far because we've been eating away from home much more than usual, mostly due to Labor Day weekend BBQs, family dinners, and our trip down to NYC on Sunday. While I've enjoyed all the socializing with friends and family, I was really glad to have the opportunity to spend the whole day yesterday sharing home-cooked meals with my two favorite guys.
We had eggs and grits for breakfast, vegetarian stuffed peppers for lunch, leftover peppers and salad for dinner, apples for snacks (Ed and I each had one, while Dylan wolfed down four himself), and Ed and I ended our evening chatting about our lovely day while drinking Blue Point Brewing Company Pumpkin Ale.
Yesterday's Challenge: Make a Local Vegetarian Meal
I'm already a vegetarian so this wasn't difficult for me! For those of you who are totally unfamiliar with cooking vegetarian meals I'd definitely suggest checking out Vegetarian Times....they have so many absolutely amazing recipes to try!
Yesterday's Food: Cauliflower
I didn't have any cauliflower on hand, but if I did I'd DEFINITELY make this Roasted Curried Cauliflower recipe.
- Ate/drank local milk, eggs, butter, cheddar, onions, parsley, sweet red peppers, honey, apples, arugula, grape tomatoes, carrots, and beer (13 different foods).
- Cooked all three meals at home from scratch using mostly local ingredients.
- Froze six chopped up red peppers to be enjoyed in soups this winter.
- Made the switch from using sugar in my coffee to honey...I'm not sure how I feel about this one...it's definitely going to take some getting used to, but I'm going to give it a shot!
- Continued to read Omnivore's Dilemma...if any of you have read it, I'd love to hear what you thought of it!